Speech Therapy for the Elderly

by Angela Stevens on January 25, 2010

No Gravatar

I first became familiar with speech therapy when a young cousin needed help with her speech impediment. Her mother and the teachers at the school helped develop a plan to help improve her speech, which involved a weekly session with a speech therapist. I never thought much more about it until my great uncle had a stroke and lost much of his ability to speak. A speech therapist was employed by the rehabilitation nursing home he was sent to, and she helped him regain much of his ability to communicate. This made me realize that there is an amazing need for speech therapy in both the younger and older generations.

sunbelt-elderly-speech-therapy

Geriatric speech therapy has become an increasingly popular field. Baby boomers have brought the elderly population to new heights, with an even larger increase expected in the near future. This has led to an increase in the demand in speech therapists that specialize in helping elderly patients. Some of these patients need general help due to the natural aging process, while others need help with specific problems related to an underlying medical condition.

As you grow older, your vocal cords become less elastic and your larynx muscles weaken. This makes it difficult for many elderly people to speak as they once did, and it makes it more difficult for those around them to understand what they are saying. Speech therapy can help teach the patient to speak in a new way, with vocal exercises that will help them communicate more effectively. This benefits both the family and the patient tremendously. Because this is a condition that affects many people as they age, even if they have no other medical conditions, it is possible that geriatric speech therapy will grow even faster than other forms of geriatric care.

With my great uncle, his speech problem began after he had his stroke. This type of language impairment is called aphasia and is common in stroke victims. He received intensive speech therapy. His speech therapist worked with him several times a week for many months and then slowly backed down to once or twice a week. Eventually his speech did improve a great deal, although never what it was prior to the stroke. Still, he and the entire family were very grateful for the help of the speech therapist, and he was overjoyed at being able to communicate effectively with his family, friends, and doctors once more.

There are a number of environments where a speech therapist who specializes in geriatric care could thrive. Nursing homes, retirement communities, hospitals, and home health care centers may all contract with someone with this sort of expertise. If you are a speech therapist, have you ever considered focusing on geriatric patients? Do you prefer the challenges of working with the elderly?

Related posts:

1. Why is Speech Therapy Important?
  2. Speech Therapy for Toddlers
  3. Autism and Speech Therapy
  4. iPad Apps for Speech Therapy
  5. Apraxia of Speech

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Cristabel Romero 12.09.10 at 10:34 am

, I am a speech therapist and am working with the elderly, the work with them is very nice, every day I feel proud of their progress and things I do.

The elders give us joy and satisfaction when we can see their progress and achievements.
They have much to teach and to share with us.

Eileen Clark (85 years old) 07.09.11 at 10:44 am

I first noted my speech delay about a year and a half ago when I was the care giver for my husband who passed awa y in Mar 2011 of COPD. I have been to my doctor, but she didn’ think it was serious. I am coping with his death as best I can after nealy 6o years of a very happy marrarige. I have the think of what I want to say before opening my mouth and my hand writing is the same. I still drive my car and I wanted to know if there is a speech therapist in Burlington, Ont Canada!?!

Diane Evans-Blake, SLP 02.04.12 at 11:55 pm

I am a Speech/ Language Pathologist in N.C.; I enjoy working in adult settings; I have a full-time position in a rehab/nursing home but I have worked in homecare, assistive/independent living and hospital settings for many years. Some SLPs at this level of service concentrate on swallowing disorders. While dysphagia(swallowing disorder) is an important part of what I do, I still enjoy providing solutions for residents with memory problems, voice and hearing impairments. I work closely with a nutritionist, nurses, physicans, OTs and PTs. Working with the elder is my therapy niche.

Gina Mervis 07.25.12 at 8:46 am

Hello, how are you doing? I am a speech and language pathologist who would like to work with geriatrics in a rehabilitation setting. If anyone could help with opportunities (preferably lead me in the direction of facilities that have excellent patient care) that would be wonderful! I agree that the work that can be done with geriatrics is incredible- and often overlooked… Thanks for your help!

Gina

Gina Mervis 07.25.12 at 8:47 am

p.s. E-mail me at GinaMervisSLP@gmail.com *** your help and support is much appreciated!

spotify premium code generator 07.02.13 at 7:10 pm

My partner and i stated, “Can When i understand that? I understand the particular man. He or she performs for a Ancient greek language car service on my obstruct. ” Upon
my moving a persons vision examination, the girl placed spotify premium code generator my personal varieties,
expressing, “Your license will likely be perfect for several a long time. inch And then, gleefully aiming to a prolonged cashier’s range, your woman additional, “You can pay in the cashier.
inch “Four a long time through whenever? inches My spouse and i inquired. “From while i find at stake or maybe
from when get off the actual line? ” In the event appears might wipe out, the style she provided everyone could’ve wiped out any Brontosaurus how big is any DMV backlog. Around the cashier’s series We ended up near someone playing a compact airwaves. Right after two hrs regarding eavesdropping about media reviews and also fiscal improvements, I ran across out there of which inside the occasion I’d personally been recently waiting around with this series, the particular greenback experienced devaluated by simply with regards to four percentage on the Japanese marketplace, the national credit card debt received grown simply by about 6-8 percentage, as well as the people had been sporting thinner by in relation to 16 per cent. Because of the time period My spouse and i attained this cashier’s window, I had created quite a solid perception of the fact that globe economic markets run — yet When i however we hadn’t the actual foggiest clue in respect of how a DMV can.

gina mervis 08.02.14 at 11:54 am