For a lot of people, summer brings to mind swimming, road trips and days at the lake. Just because you are working as a traveler does not mean you can’t enjoy the summer months. In fact, working as a healthcare traveler during the summer provides you with a great opportunity to take advantage of the warm weather, outdoor activities, and special events. Consider some of the following ways to enjoy summer activities while on the road as a traveler.
- Hit the beach, lake or river. Depending on what part of the country you are working in, you can’t let the summer pass without a trip to a local beach, nearby lake, or river. Whether you go to a large public beach or a small out of the way lake, you can cool off, watch a sunset, and enjoy the outdoors in your new surroundings.
- Enjoy local fairs. Summer is the perfect time to get out and have fun at a street festival, county fair, or community event. In many cities and towns across the country, there is an increase in festivals during the summer months. Eating ice cream, riding the Ferris wheel, and watching fireworks is the perfect way to spend a summer night.
- Find the hidden gems. Every community has restaurants, shops, and places of interest off the beaten path. Ask some of your co-workers or neighbors which places you should not miss. For instance, ask what fun outdoor cafes, ice cream shops, or events are a must see.
- Take a city tour. If you have not had a chance to take a tour of your new city, get out and enjoy one during your travel job. Consider a walking tour or bike tour, and take advantage of the warm months.
- Shop at a farmers market. Fresh vegetables and fruit are a must during the warm summer months. Farmers markets often have the best tasting local food. Shopping at local fruit stands and farmers markets not only can be less costly than shopping at a store it allow you to support local agriculture.
- Have a barbeque. Summers and barbeques go hand in hand. It is a great time to invite some of your new friends for a get together at your place. If you just started your travel assignment, hosting a summer barbeque is the perfect way to get to know people. If your place is too small, consider using a public park or have a picnic at the lake.
- Do what the locals do. Summer often means community events, such as outdoor movies, concerts in the park and art festivals. Call your new town’s chamber of commerce for a list of community events. An added perk of community events, such as concerts and movies in the park, is they are often free.
Although it can be fun to be a healthcare traveler during any season, summer can be especially enjoyable. Whichever activities you choose be sure to get out and enjoy your new community.
What are your favorite things to do on your free time while on a travel assignment? Do you sample the local cuisine? Check out unique souvenir shops? Lay out by the pool and lose track of time? Comment below!